Planning a road trip? You recognize that you’re visiting need to stop for a snack or a meal along the way. Does one leave your food choices to chance?
I drive plenty. I’ve got three long road trips developing within the next month. Aside from having the number of roadside assistance like Towing San Jose and preparing all necessities, food is the one I don’t bother prepping that much. I do know that I’m visiting stop for a snack or meal — either because I would get gas; I’m bored, stiff, and tired; I’m hungry – or any combination of the above; and, quite frankly, because I really like rest stops and truck stops.
The lure of a lay-by is hard to pass up when you’ve been sitting within the car for hours on end. You get into and you’re assaulted by an array of vending machines, candy racks, fast food, donuts, coffee, and each bottled drink under the sun. You’re a captive consumer (there’s probably no other place around that you just know of to prevent aside from the roadside area, truck stop, or gas station) – and, you crave something to:
- Keep you energized and awake
- Ease the boredom
- Reward you for endless hours of driving (especially if you have got complaining or fighting kids with you)
- Bring back memories of summer road trip food you had after you were a child (as a parent I can admit that you just often give up and buy every kind of stuff for your kids because they’re driving you crazy)
ALSO READ: Heavy Duty Towing – Food Choices For Heavy Tow Truck Drivers And Truckers To Stay Healthy
The Trap and therefore the Danger
An endless stream of high carb, high fat, high calorie, and processed food is simply begging you to flump your money so you’ll immediately indulge (watch what number people start eating the food they’ve bought before they even pay) or to require with you (in case there’s a pending famine).
The real danger – other than the damage to your waistline – is that the high carb processed foods spike then crash your blood glucose — which lands up making you actually tired and cranky. Drowsy drivers are most definitely not safe drivers.
Cranky drivers make life miserable for everybody within the car – not an excellent tone to a line if you’re occurring vacation.
- It may remove a number of the road trip spontaneity, but once you close up your car pack some food, too. Fill a cooler with water, fruit, yogurt, sandwiches, whatever you’re thinking that you’ll eat which will keep you alert and energized (aim for a few complex carbs and protein). Why not add some portion-sized bags of nuts and popcorn, too? Planning ahead means you’re not at the mercy of the vending machines and racks and racks of candy, chips, and food.
- Use an app or your GPS to search out nearby restaurants as you drive through various communities. A bit of searching can facilitate your find places with healthier options than you would possibly find at a layby. This will be really helpful for anyone with allergies or special dietary requirements.
- If you haven’t done either of the above and just want to play it by ear – or pit stop – a minimum of have your own mental list of some good, better, and best choices of food to shop for. The danger is that the candy, chips, fries, and donuts call your name the minute you go into the door. If you recognize that you’re visiting head straight for the nuts, or popcorn, or maybe a burger, that’s great, as long because the giant chocolate chip cookie and also the bargain 32-ounce soda for 99 cents doesn’t grab you initially. Try and decide what you’re visiting buy (hopefully, a decent choice) before you enter – and so stick with your decision.